Pages

Thursday 22 December 2011

Baking baking baaaking

In my last blog post I mentioned that we were going to bake some Karelian pies for Christmas. We did! If you don't know what they are, take a look at this little video:



(The music is a children's Christmas song, this particular recording is from 1983.)

Karelian Pies are a traditional dish from (surprise, surprise) Karelia, which is a region located on the Russian-Finnish border. This video was filmed in (and I'm from) North Karelia.

We baked other things too! We had a little Finnish Independence Day get-together in Galway, if you were there, you probably saw a version of these. They're called joulutortut in Finnish. A direct translation would be Christmas Tarts. But that doesn't sound good. So I call them Christmas pastries or something if I have to mention them in English.

Step 1: Take the puff pastry dough out of the freezer and let it melt.

Step 2: Cut the blocks of dough in half.

Step 3: Cut... like I show in the picture. :D Hard to verbalize. There are several ways of cutting and folding these pastries but I'm just using one of them.

Step 4: Put a little knob of plum jam in the centre.

Step 5: Take the cut edges and squish them together at the centre.

Step 5: Bake in the oven until done! 

Step 6: Sprinkle icing sugar on top of the pastries after they've cooled down a bit.

Step 7: Enjoy.


I also made gingerbread cookies! I wanted these for our independence day party too, but I couldn't find any in the stores :( And the dough is a bit complicated and time-consuming to make, so... This dough came from the freezer too. :D



I made stars and moons!



It took 4 minutes to bake these.

My mom also made these canapé things. She saw the recipe in a magazine.



It combines the gingerbread dough and the puff pastry dough.


Here they are after the oven! But I forgot to taste them :O

And my brother also made these cookies! Yummy.

Plus my mom made two cakes in the evening. So you'd think we'd be pretty much set in terms of pastries and stuff for Christmas! But no, we'll probably make at least some buns on Friday.



No comments:

Post a Comment