Pages

Thursday 9 August 2012

Hot & cold

I've heard the summer in Ireland hasn't been very summery. What a shame! But like I've mentioned before here in Eastern Finland it has basically been a nice and sunny +23 nearly every day since I got here in mid-May. Many Finns would argue that it's been a very rainy summer, but that's just because most Finns are very negative and pessimistic people. Or maybe I've just happened to always be in the sunny spot!

The past two summers we've had a really long and hot heat wave with temperatures from 28 to 35. In August 2010 there was a new heat record made near where I live, +37,2 ° C. This summer it seems we only got one HOT day (the others I classify as warm) and it was the last Sunday of July.


In the shade.


In the sun.

After that we went back to 23 for a while, but then yesterday the winds turned and brought us something very un-summerlike:



I can tell you this weather felt very Irish indeed... Today it was even worse:


Brrr! It felt like the 9th of September, not the 9th of August! I didn't have a hat or gloves with me at my "summer residence" and my ears and fingers almost froze when I cycled in the cold morning air and drizzle! But these were the first days I've had to wear a jacket this summer, which, in my opinion, proves that it's been quite warm.

I've had a chance to warm up after those cold months in Ireland (obviously those months were a lot colder over here, but the freezing dampness in Ireland is just something completely different...) and hopefully I have some of it saved to survive the next two semesters there! And then I can come back to Finland for the summer to melt again :P

I really wish saunas were as common in Ireland as they are in Finland, because frankly it would be a lot more useful there.

No comments:

Post a Comment