Pages

Saturday 28 July 2012

Traffic!

I've always wondered why people drive on different sides of the road in different countries. I still don't know why, but it would definitely be a lot handier if everyone drove on the same side.

When I moved to Ireland I had a few close calls crossing the street because I was looking the wrong way. After spending months in Ireland and around its many roundabouts I got so used to looking the "right" way, that now that I'm back in Finland I'm in danger of getting hit! I was cycling and I crossed the road at a roundabout looking the wrong way. And only realised this when I was already on the other side! Good thing there were no cars there at that time.

Whenever I go back to Ireland after spending time in Finland I always open the driver's door by accident, even though I'm supposed to be the passenger. The same happens in Finland after being in Ireland. Sometimes I'm just completely confused and have to check where the wheel is before I even try entering the car! :D It's probably for the best that I don't drive (although I do have a driving license). I'd put myself and others in danger. I'm sure other people who "live in two countries" experience this too, but I also know people who have no problem driving on either side.

Anyway

I found this picture in a magazine:


red: right-sided traffic
orange: right-sided now, used to be left-sided
green: right-sided now, used to differ between parts of country
blue: left-sided
purple: left-sided, used to be right-sided (Namibia)

SEE?? See how little blue there is on the map? Clearly the right side is the correct side!

Okay, the article said that over a third of the world's population lives in these countries. But without India the amount would be very insignificant!

I'm sure now that I've posted this on my blog all of the blue countries will come to their senses and start the process of switching sides! I mean, people like me are in danger! That's why I wanted to share this :)

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment